National Park Service Founders Day is observed each year on the 25th of August. This day honors the exceptional conservancy and conservation efforts undertaken by the National Parks System. If you’re out enjoying picturesque trails open spaces, watersheds, open spaces, or recreation places, keep in mind you are part of the National Parks Service that works hard to make an outdoor natural resource that is accessible to every American.
They also have the responsibility of creating trails for biking and hiking accessible to everyone. They also provide bike and hiking trails for all. National Parks System is committed to providing outdoor experiences that are unlike anything else. These parks impress us with their beauty and also provide us with a wealth of information about the history of our local area and geography.
HISTORY OF NATIONAL PARK SERVICE FOUNDERS DAY
On the 25th of August 1916 the president, Woodrow Wilson signed the Organic Act. The Organic Act created the National Park Service. In the Department of Interior, the National Park Service protects 400 areas across all fifty American States and Territories as well as the District of Columbia. They are responsible for the care of national parks that cover an area of 84 million acres!
The first national park in the country, Yellowstone, was established in 1872. Congress approved legislation to protect the property as a public park which would benefit Americans.
This led America to be the first nation on the planet to establish an open-air park exclusively to benefit its citizens. It was the beginning of the many steps that the government took to preserve and create national parks, forests as well as coastal regions and wildlife refuges as well as historical sites for the future.
When it was the time the National Park Service was founded it was just 33 federally designated areas. These include the National Capital Parks, the National Mall, and the White House in Washington D.C. There are over 400 parks that are fully designated national parks managed through the National Park Service.
They cover over 84 million acres of land, these parks vary from the small Thaddeus Kosciuszko Memorial located in Pennsylvania with a size of .02 acres, all the way to The Alaska Wrangell-St. Elias Park National Preserve covers a massive 13.2 million acres.
It is estimated that the National Park Service has 22,000 employees who work in temporary, permanent, and seasonal jobs. A further 340,000 volunteers also work within the organization. These parks host nearly 300 million people every year.
NATIONAL PARK SERVICE FOUNDERS DAY TIMELINE
1872The Federal Government Assumes Control
There isn’t any state government that can manage Yellowstone therefore Yellowstone is managed by the Federal Government steps in.
1916A Portfolio is Published
A selection comprised of 9 major parks has been released to create interest.
1934National Park Service Stamps
Postage stamps are given to commemorate the expansion and reorganization of the National Park Service.
1951Conrad Wirth Becomes Director
Wirth becomes director of the N.P.S. and improves the park’s quality in response to the public’s demand.
NATIONAL PARK SERVICE FOUNDERS DAY FAQS
What is National Park Service Founders Day?
On the 25th of August 1916 the president, Woodrow Wilson signed the Organic Act which established the National Park Service. This day is a celebration and commemoration of the institution’s creation.
What was the very first national park created and at what time?
On the 1st of March 1872 president, Ulysses S. Grant designated Yellowstone as the first national park in the United States. The park was the very first park of its kind in the world.
What is the largest National Park in the U.S.?
The Wrangell St. Elias National Park and Preserve located in Alaska is possibly the biggest National Park of its kind in the U.S. In reality seven of the 10 largest national parks are located in Alaska.
HOW TO OBSERVE NATIONAL PARK SERVICE FOUNDERS DAY
- Visit the national parks there is no better method to commemorate National Park Service Founders Day than to visit an official national park. Find a park of national significance close to you and then set off with your friends to experience the beauty of nature.
- Give a serviceman a treat Do you know anyone who works for or was employed by the National Park Service? Offer them lunch or present them with an item of small value as a token of appreciation for this holiday,
- VolunteerYou can apply to be an individual volunteer for the National Park Service as a means to contribute to protecting protected areas. It is also possible to encourage your friends to join as volunteers.
5 FACTS ABOUT FORESTS THAT WILL BLOW YOUR MIND
- Forests cover a vast coverage of land forests cover approximately 4 billion hectares or 30% of the Earth’s surface.
- The Amazon is a rich source of diversity The most diverse biodiversity recorded on land is found in the Amazon rainforest.
- The forests are rapidly disappearing research indicates the following: 15.3 billion tree species are cut down each year.
- Humans are responsible for the disappearance of forests. Russia, Canada, and Brazil had the highest percentage of gross loss of forest cover between 2012 and 2014.
- Brazil is committed to protecting forests in brazil covers the largest forest area of 206 million hectares, and is the most protected area of forest.
WHY NATIONAL PARK SERVICE FOUNDERS DAY IS IMPORTANT
- We love national parks. National parks provide a place to enjoy and preserve wildlife and plant species. As outdoor space becomes increasingly scarce, National Park Service Founders Day reminds us of the importance of conserving its beauty.
- This is a day to show our gratitude to employees and volunteers who are working hard to ensure that National parks, as well as other spaces that are open to all Americans. This is the day to show our appreciation to these soldiers.
- It promotes mindfulness in living National parks demonstrate the way that nature and human beings can live peacefully together. Today we are able to pledge to lead a more sustainable lifestyle.